Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Follow-up on Global Warming (from Emily)

I don't want to dwell on environmental issues too much, especially since I understand the frustrations of those who feel like climate change has been blown out of proportion, or that there are many more immediate problems to address. However, while I was procrastinating one of my papers (which deals with gender issues in writing, incidentally), I came across this clip from The Daily Show. If you have a distaste for crude humour, just skip straight to 3:40 or so. I'm posting this more out of a concern for logic than a concern over the environment. I think the way climate change naysayers have responded to the East Coast snow storm is just one example of ways that we all reinforce logical fallacies. As Sam B concludes in the end, if one dingo steals your baby, that must mean every dingo steals babies, right? NOT - that, my dears, would be a logical fallacy.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Unusually Large Snowstorm
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis

PS - I apologize, dear readers, for my recent lack of eloquence. There's something about being stressed that makes me write tersely, but that's no excuse for making you suffer through inferior prose.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! You made me laugh and cry at the same time...but that may be my unstable mental condition rather than your terse and straightforward wit! Maybe I should post this comment anonymously to protect myself from the Emily's of the world. If one Emily gets mad...they all get mad!!

    ReplyDelete